- If someone says that something is true according to a particular person, book, or other source of information, they are indicating where they got their information.
- Philip stayed at the hotel, according to Mr Hemming...
- He and his father, according to local gossip, haven't been in touch for years.
- If something is done according to a particular set of principles, these principles are used as a basis for the way it is done.
- They both played the game according to the rules...
- If something varies according to a changing factor, it varies in a way that is determined by this factor.
- Prices vary according to the quantity ordered...
- [PHRASE: usu PHR after v] If something happens according to plan, it happens in exactly the way that it was intended to happen.
- If all goes according to plan, the first concert will be Tuesday evening.
- as shown by something or stated by someone
- According to the police, his attackers beat him with a blunt instrument.
- There is now widespread support for these proposals, according to a recent public opinion poll.
- in a way that depends on differences in situations or amounts
- You will be paid according to the amount of work you do.
- in a way that agrees with a system or plan, or obeys a set of rules
- The game will be played according to rules laid down for the 1992 Cup.
- Everything went according to plan , and we arrived on time.
HINT sense 1
Do not say 'according to me' or 'according to my opinion/point of view'. Say in my opinion In my opinion his first book is much better.
based on （base on, be based on）
7 [VERB: V n on/upon n] If you base one thing on another thing, the first thing develops from the second thing.
- He based his conclusions on the evidence given by the captured prisoners.
- based based [ADJ: v-link ADJ on/upon n]
- Three of the new products are based on traditional herbal medicines...
- be based on: /bi_ _be_st _n/ [verb phrase] if a film, story, idea, plan etc is based on something else, that is where its basic ideas or facts come from
- The film is based on a popular Bengali novel.
- Overtime pay will be based on the number of hours you work each week.
- Your test questions will be based on the work you have done in the past year.
- be based on: /bi_ _be_st _n/ [verb phrase] if one decision, situation, calculation etc is based on another, the second is the main thing upon which the first decision etc depends
- Your pension will be based on the amount that you are earning when you retire.
- This year's funding for the program is based on the number of applications that we received last year.
- The jury's decision must be based on the evidence heard in court.
「〜に基づいて・・・する」という文を作りたいとき、based onを使うか、according toを使うか迷うところだけれども、上の英英辞典を見るか斬りでは、何か行動を行う場合にはaccording toを使うのが良さそう。何かの物体や状況が〜に基づいているというときには based onを使うのが良さそう。